You May Be Missing Something!

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Bless this union, Mr President

Today I had one of my magnificent meandering thoughts. It started innocently enough by reading someone else’s Blog.

The entry was entitled “This Farmer Wants a Wife”. Now, I don’t know where the thoughts of a normal human would go after reading this, but mine didn’t go anywhere near that place. And I don’t read the Startlegram.

Very keen readers of aforelinked blog will know by now that my spousal unit is from Germany.

What you may not know is that before I met my spouse-to-be, I didn’t care much about the government. Life goes on and they are going to do what they are going to do. If they don’t hurt me, I don’t care.

Well, you should try falling in love with a woman (or man) from another country and just see how involved with your personal life our government is. It’s not pretty. I got so irritated at one point that I sent a nasty email to my senator. I normally don’t do things like that.

Mainly I sent her the email because she wanted to amend the constitution to formally make a marriage a union between a man and a woman. I don’t know how that reads today, but I think she missed my point. In fact, I suspect lots of people miss my point.

The point I was trying to make in my sarcastic letter that I can’t find the text to, was that government needs to get out of the marriage business all together. Why the hell is it any of the government’s business who I intend to spend my life with?

No comments:

Post a Comment