You May Be Missing Something!

Monday, August 18, 2008

Gas Prices, Science, Research & Swimming

This weekend, I went swimming over at my brother's new house. I'm not much of a swimmer. My left shoulder has been bugging me for over a year now and it was not at all fond of the breast stroke.

So, we sat in the hot tub and conversed about random things. It occurred to me (may have been during, may have been before and it may have been after) that high gas prices are mostly good for us.

In fact, I'm kind of disappointed that they are going back down. When gas prices hit $4 per gallon, the alternative fuels people were having a blast. They were talking about cars that run on water, cars that run on air, using algae to make oil, electric cars, hybrid cars. It was an inventor's extravaganza!

Interestingly, we never did make it up to European gas prices from at least 6 years ago. If gas prices start going back down to a manageable level, then people will quit complaining and the inventors will quit inventing.

So, charge us more for oil please! It produces good things.

It's too bad we don't get as fired up about diseases. If we all had to take cancer medicine and the cost of the medication suddenly went up by 20% maybe they would cure it. That's one of the problems with a democracy. It's all about the majority. If everyone had to take insulin and a bottle of insulin suddenly started costing $100, I bet they'd cure diabetes.

No comments:

Post a Comment