You May Be Missing Something!

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Vista vs XP

This isn't really a comparison article. The Vista vs XP was written just to grab attention. Although, now that I started writing and the fact that I know what I am going to write (most of the time) may make it sound like a comparison after all.

On a completely unrelated, but somewhat tangent topic, I've been toying with the idea of creating a more technical blog so that the guy that reads this one doesn't get bogged down and start to hold a grudge. What do you think about that?

In the post below this one I mentioned juggling 3 computers with 3 operating systems and some stuff I was going to try. I've been working on it part time for the last couple of day and I thought I'd give everyone an update.

I swapped the hard drives between 2 computers. One of the computers was running XP and the other one was running Vista. By swapping the hard drive, you are, in affect, telling the OS that all of the hardware has changed.

XP handled this gracefully. I needed to download some drivers and remove some stuff that no longer exists, but it worked. Vista was not so fortunate. But, to be fair to Vista, it got the older machine. XP is now running on a computer I built about 4 years ago. Vista was put into a system I built 6 years ago.

The Vista system bails when it's trying to load something called cdcdsk.sys or some such file. If I try to do a recovery, it tells me that it can't find the hard drive. I'm thinking I'm going to get the drivers for the SATA on the old machine and load them during the recovery process. I'll keep you all posted. I know you are sitting on the edge of your seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment