You May Be Missing Something!

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Buddha Clause

I have some history to share. I used to be very scared to ask questions. For some reason, I had a psychological hang up about proving my ignorance. If I didn't ask questions then no one knew I was ignorant. I figure if I could listen for long enough the answers would eventually come to me.

This worked out fine for a long time. When I was 31 I went to a psychiatrist and she demanded that during my work week I ask stupid questions. Even if I knew the answer, I was supposed to ask the question. I think she was trying to prove to me that people aren't as judgmental as I thought they were. I don't know exactly, but it worked.

However, I turned it into a game. I'd try to get strange answers. Sometimes, you ask some completely stupid sounding, off the wall questions and you get funny answers. I encourage you all to try it sometime.

Today, I was having lunch at my favorite Vietnamese food restaurant in this area and they were preparing for Christmas. They already had their Christmas tree out and lit and everything. Behind the counter there was a green looking Buddha toting a bag on a stick sort of thing slung over his shoulder.

So, I went up to the girl behind the counter and said, "So, what is he supposed to be? Like a Buddha Clause or something?"

She said, "No, that's just Buddha."

I said, "But he's got the gift bag. Is he bringing gifts? Does Buddha do the whole gift thing?"

She said, "Buddha brings everything."

This is my life lesson for all of you today. Even when things seem to be at their worst remember that "Buddha brings everything". It's great!

No comments:

Post a Comment