You May Be Missing Something!

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Good Bier, Gut Food, Bavarian Grill

I think I tantalizingly mentioned something last week hinting at an exciting story that I needed to post. I feel I've toyed with your emotions long enough so here I am to spill the beans.

One of my favorite eateries in the DFW area is the Bavarian Grill in Plano. The food is good, the beer is better and every time that I go there I am entertained. My wife, being from Germany, says she likes to go there when she is homesick because it's the one place in this area that reminds her a bit of home.

I encourage anyone coming through the area to stop by one evening and have a Franziskaner Hefe Dunkel (on tap) and listen to the antics of Alan, the accordion strumming, lederhosen wearing maniac. They have other entertainers as well. You can get to it from their website.

Last time I was there with my brother and sister-in-law, Alan did a reggae version of "Edelweiss" that brought tears to my eyes. I believe because it was funny. The beer fogs my memory. You have to go there to appreciate the sarcastic quick witted humor. I have none of it. Don't forget to order some authentic German beer.

When I went there about four years ago with my German colleagues (both of whom are from Bavaria), one of them stole Alan's accordion so he could play some "authentic" German music.

In all seriousness though, Alan's show is the best mix of German and American music and humor. Although, you can't be serious. Seriously.

My wife recently accepted a job at the grill. Maybe if you go there, you can find her and say hello. She'll be the one in the dirndl.


2 comments:

  1. Oy. That is Jewish for that video was cruel torture. Oy again. I guess it could be worse, you could have married an Indian. Then again, I find Indian food quite good. German food. Indigestion. And their culture. Don't get me started. Though, you do need to visit Leavenworth next time you're in Washington. But that may be more Swiss oriented than German. But you can get good hot dogs and kraut there. And beer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You, of all people, would enjoy Alan's mean spirited humor.

    Have him do his striking rendition of the "Too Fat Polka". It's right up your alley.

    If German food gives you indigestion then you aren't drinking enough.

    ReplyDelete