You May Be Missing Something!

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Ed is An Aquarius!!

image It may come as a shock to you, but one of the regular visitors to my humble blog is also an Aquarius.

He gets a posting all to himself because I’ve known him and called him a friend for almost 30 years. He’s even been my best man -- twice!

I started dabbling in Astrology about 8 years ago. I don’t take it too seriously, but it’s good for conversations and it’s quite entertaining. For it to be entertaining, I have to (at least pretend to) take it very seriously.

I started to look closer at Astrology when I realized the one man I had known and kept in contact with longer than any other was a fellow Aquarius. I reckon it is just a whacky coincidence, but it’s still pretty cool.

Ed was born on January 23rd.

I don’t have many friends. A lot of my old friends I hear from rarely.

In 30 years I think the longest I’ve gone without hearing anything from Ed is maybe 6 months. Maybe. I didn’t really keep track. He was always there.

Ed introduced me to the Internet. I enjoy hanging out with people that are smarter than me. I figure that way I’ll be able to learn something every time I talk to them and I am a big fan of learning. I’ve learned a lot from Ed and continue to do so. Just checkout some of his comments!

I met Ed when I was playing Dungeons & Dragons with his older brother. Ed is a year younger than me and lived just down the street when we were growing up.

When I needed a best man for my wedding(s) Ed bought a plane ticket and flew down (both times) without asking for anything in return. I don’t think I ever said how much I appreciated it. I’m not good at showing appreciation. Maybe since Ed is a fellow Aquarius, he understands that.

When I was going through my divorce, it was a very difficult patch of time in my life. Ed was always there to talk to. He might be the only person I know that looks at things more logically than I do. Of course, the women don’t appreciate it. Is there such a thing as love in logic? Or logic in love?

I could write all day from my memoirs of our teenage years together. We played AD&D, we setup Bulletin Board Services, we played chess, we wrote software, etc. You name it, we did it. It’s the only thing I remember enjoying about being a teenager in the desert.

Here’s to Ed. Thanks man!

2 comments:

  1. Awww, shucks. Sniff-sniff.

    It's been a long, strange trip and I've always been proud to call you my best friend. I still have the occasional flash-back to a dark room papered with KISS posters (thanks, Skipper), meticulously drawing up rules and stats for the fantasy game that we never quite finished programming (I'm honestly not sure we ever really started programming it).

    Here's to Gar & to friendship. Here's to growing up in a tiny town with no culture and no opportunity; as a result, there was also no real sense of limitations. If you're willing to imagine something beyond the limited horizons of those around you, anything must be possible. The two of us had a grand time surviving West Texas and imagining what must lie beyond it.

    Thanks for being my friend, Gar. Truly and honor & a privilege to know you through the years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh. My BFF :-)

    Not too very long ago, I found a stack of 5.25 floppies and one of them was titled, "The Catacombs of Laramy" or something of that nature.

    I decided it would be prohibitively expensive for me to find a drive capable of reading the disk on the off chance that the magnetic media was still intact.

    So, I threw them all away. We had written the character generation portion. I still have our meticulous drawings.

    ReplyDelete