You May Be Missing Something!

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Lesser of Two Evils

An interesting thing about traveling to Europe is the shocking discovery that America is not the only country in the world. I remember when I first left Texas and was shocked to discover that Texas is not the only state in the country.

Texans are very proud of their state. No other state is as good as Texas when you are a Texan. Americans have the same attitude about the rest of the world. It's rather unfortunate.

I am a member of the Libertarian party. I even ran for office a few years ago just to see what it was like to be on a ballot. I was surprised to get several interviews with the Fort Worth Startlegram.

There is a saying I am fond of with the Libertarians. It goes something like, "We keep the Democrats out of your pockets and the Republicans out of your bedrooms."

Having said all of that, I'm a bit off from my mainstream Libertarian counterparts. Given the choice of my pockets or my bedroom I'd prefer the government stay out of my bedroom.

To me, this has nothing to do with privacy. It's more to do with how you are allowed to live. It was Republicans that wanted to make gay marriage illegal. To which I would reply, "Do we really want the government telling us who we can marry?"

This particularly came to light when I met my current wife in Germany. The government makes it very difficult to marry a foreigner.

I would have happily paid a little more taxes to the Democrats if they would have allowed me to live with my girlfriend in the USA for a while before getting married. Allowing her to live as an American to see if she enjoyed it before having to get married.

My point is fading. My logical mind is thinking this is a very valid point, but my ineptitude with the written language hampers my ability to properly communicate it.

Republicans seem to be the moral police. I don't like someone else dictating my morals. If I want to mess myself up with crack cocaine in the comfort of my own house I should be able to do so. As long as I'm not hurting anyone else, it should be legal.

Republicans claim to want a smaller central government with more power to the states. However, I believe their concept of smaller is flawed. Perhaps they tax less (sometimes), but they write laws that restrict your personal choices.

I am a Democratic leaning Libertarian. A rare beast. However, the current administration has spent a lot of money and done a lot of talking, but, in my opinion, has done nothing helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment