You May Be Missing Something!

Friday, May 7, 2010

The Dollar Coins

In Europe they don’t  have paper currency until you hit the 5 Euro note.  There are lots of 1 Euro coins and 2 Euro coins running around.

I don’t like carrying currency around at all so I don’t exactly know why I’m doing this.

Once or twice a year I get this horrendous email about how they’ve left “In God We Trust” off the dollar coins which the government is going to force upon us.

I guess the thinking is that by giving you money without God in the title, then it’ll spend less well.  I’m not real sure what God has to do with money anyway.

In God We Trust appears on most all US currency.  I’m not real sure why.  A few years ago, a mistake happened and some coins were printed without the ever popular “In God We Trust” logo.  These coins are now collector’s items and sell for big bucks.  Oh the irony.

I’ve taken the time to go to the US Mint’s web site and find all the Dollar coins.  Here they are.  Enjoy… The first is the Native American Dollar.  It has In God We Trust written right there on the front.

image

image

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Before that, we had The Presidential Series.  They all have In God We Trust tattooed on the edge.  A Statue of Liberty on the back and a President on the front.  The first one was George of Course.

 

image

image

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

image

image

 

image

image

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

For further mind numbing fun, you can go here.  For more ironic fun and the senseless God badgering of the American zealots, I’ll share with you some quotes from each of these Presidents…

George Washington said, “…the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion…”

John Adams said, “This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religions in it.”

Thomas Jefferson said quite a lot.  My favorite, “It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god.  It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.”  Little did he know.

James Madison said, “Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise.”

4 comments:

  1. You have given me blogging fodder, of the first order, which I shall use tomorrow, or the day after, cuz those Founding Father's Quotes are GOLD. Not that anyone will make note.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward, with great anticipation, to the fruition of said fodder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recent and related content for your blogging-fodder pleasure re: proposed changes to Texas social studies textbooks:

    "Among the changes: Students would be required to learn about the “unintended consequences” of Title IX, affirmative action, and the Great Society, and would need to study conservative icons like Phyllis Schlafly, the Heritage Foundation, and the Moral Majority.

    The slave trade would be renamed the “Atlantic triangular trade,” American “imperialism” changed to “expansionism,” and all references to “capitalism” have been replaced with “free enterprise.”

    The role of Thomas Jefferson – who argued for the separation of church and state – is minimized in several places, and the standards would emphasize the degree to which the Founding Fathers were driven by Christian principles."

    http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Education/2010/0519/Texas-textbook-war-Slavery-or-Atlantic-triangular-trade

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fellow Blogger, Jovan, has already hit upon this topic.

    I think my comment was some cynical remark about the quality of football coaches teaching history in Texas anyway.

    ReplyDelete