You May Be Missing Something!

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

My Loving Relationship

I've been in love with Pandora for a long time now. I listen to it at home. I listen to it at work. I even listen to it in my car.

The last update, 1.5.18, debilitated my ability to listen to Pandora in my car. For some reason, on my Android phone, it would skip through more songs than it played.

It would come up with the album art and the title, then the little loading screen would appear. The loading screen would get up to 1%, then go back to loading. After a few seconds it would skip the song without playing any of it. Sometimes it would skip several song fairly quickly. Eventually (sometimes up to 5 minutes later), it would decide to play another song.

I cleared the Pandora cache from the application settings. I uninstalled Pandora and reinstalled Pandora. I tried every logical thing I could think of. I even tried some illogical things.

I did a search on Google and found someone talking about "shutting the phone down and removing the battery" to fix a somewhat related problem.

I am now convinced that all Android applications degrade over time. When an application quits behaving, don't complain too loudly to the application developer. It could just be a bad case of Android Application Entropy (AAE). Uninstalling and reinstalling the application will usually bring the degraded application back into some kind of harmony with the Android OS.

And, if that doesn't work, uninstall, shutdown the phone, remove the battery, leave it out for a few seconds, put the battery back in, turn on the phone and then reinstall the application. I have no idea why this works. I figure there must be something always saved in some kind of temporary memory that stays as longs as there is a power source, but I haven't researched it enough to prove this theory.

My Pandora is now back to making me happy in my car. Where all loving relationships should be...making...you...happy.

That was funnier in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment