You May Be Missing Something!

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Miata Experience

I've always wanted to get a 1969 Corvette and restore it. Why, you ask? Because I was born in 69 and the 1969 Corvette had the Stingray body style. I just think it would be cool.

In preparation for this endeavor, I have acquired a 1992 Miata. I wrote a bit about it in my previous blogging.

Here's what it looked like initially before we started working on it:

 As you can see it's a nice faded classic red color from sitting out in the Panhandle weather for the last 15 years or so. The top is literally held together with hot glue and a bit of tape.

We replaced the top. We replaced the pop-up barn door style headlights with a flush mount kit. We replaced the wheels. We replaced the broken power antenna with a raked antenna. We replaced the fuel door with black fuel door. We replaced all the weather stripping. And, we had it repainted.

Everyone I talked to said, "Don't take it to Maaco." I shopped around for a couple of months trying to find a body shop that would do the repairs I wasn't capable of doing myself. I finally ignored "everyone" and took it to Maaco in Irving. Not all Maaco's are created equal. The guys at the Maaco in Irving did exactly what I asked them to do and more and for about half the price of the other guys.

The pictures do not show the new rotors, new brakes, new serpentine belt, new battery and new starter, but believe me, they are also in there somewhere... And for the record, I am not a Longhorn fan. I didn't even realize what I was doing until someone pointed it out at work today. I just like the color and it's not orange anyway. It's Dark Persimmon.




No comments:

Post a Comment