You May Be Missing Something!

Monday, August 5, 2013

One of Its Feet are Both the Same

I'm going to tackle an issue or two that will get me in heaps of trouble.

No one is better than any one else. They may be better at football, better at basketball, better runners, better thinkers, but they are not better people. People are people. When a person looks down at someone else for any reason they should be taken for a long walk off a short pier. If they look down at someone because of where they were born, or, for all that's stupid in the world, the color of their skin, they should just be shot.

Having said all of that, no matter how much you hate the President or think everyone is out to get you, would you please, please, please do a little research before believing the first thing you read? I know it's easy and you are busy, but please take a little chill pill and look before you leap.

Back before Facebook, when people would just send emails to all their friends in an attempt to thwart the end of the world, these things would drive me crazy. I got the story about how the American Government was removing "In God We Trust" from our money more times than I can count. Now, I'm of the opinion they should remove the text from our money, but that's just me. In real news, any American money that does not have the words, "In God We Trust" would ironically be worth a lot more money than its Godly counterpart.

Now, we've got Facebook where the ignorance and gullibility apparently run unchecked and rampant. I read through some of the stories and I think to myself, "I know these people. Do they believe this or are they just spreading it around to see which of their friends believe it?"

Do they "share" the stories and then secretly laugh at all the gullible people? Or are they part of the gullible ignorance that spread the story in the first place? Some are harmless. Some are full of spite and craziness and could cause a lot of harm if they were remotely comprehensible.

In the last week (and I don't look at Facebook often), I've seen at least three that have caught my attention. I'll share them with you now:
  1. The first was a video showing "NSA Can Hack Your TV and Watch You". This was the lesser of the three evils. It's a video showing how anyone can hack your Webcam. The title is just misleading and not only can NSA do it, but any geek with spare time can do it if you don't set your home network up correctly. Obviously, most TV's don't have webcams although I suppose it might be getting more popular. I see no reason to put a camera on top of my TV.
  2. The second was a link called "The Shocking Ingredients in Beer". It doesn't even seem to be a halfway legitimate source (if anything called Foodbabe can be considered legitimate). It's just full of misinformation that only takes a couple of minutes to see. The comments are my favorite. Of course, people swearing off Coors Light doesn't really bother me. I did learn one thing though. I didn't realize Miller and Coors had merged. That proved to be true. The rest of it? Not so much. I think the Food Babe is trying to get her boyfriend to quit drinking.
  3. And my favorite story was from The European Union Times. A most bizarre reading experience. I didn't even make it all the way through. And the amount of hatred in the comments. Wow! Even the title made me go, "really?". It's, "Switzerland Warning Against Obama Regime Stuns Russia". Really? And people share this on Facebook? First, do some research on The European Union Times. It's an outfit that randomly generates crap to get Internet search hits and thus traffic and thus money for advertisements. The more inflammatory the better. Here's a good link to Rational Wiki (which I thoroughly enjoyed). I had two Facebook friends post this story. It kind of made me nervous. Not because of the article, but because people actually believe this crap.
In other misinformation, Durango the magnificent wrote that he created a new blog today. It's called Durango World. I don't know why he didn't just call it Durango's World for a blatant copyright violation! But, in trying to find the blog in question, I come to a site about Dodges.

No comments:

Post a Comment